Saints Legacy Fund Distributes More than $3,500 to Projects
The Saints Legacy Fund announced it has distributed awards to the St. Ansgar Schools for the spring semester. The following projects received funding:
· Cards for Caring Children sponsored by Sheila Schulz and Tracey Fossey. This project builds on a pilot done last year and will allow expansion of this elementary school program to create greeting cards featuring St. Ansgar children’s art. Look for these special cards in St. Ansgar stores and at school events!
· Classroom Audio System sponsored by Tori Steinberg. This project will allow the middle school to purchase audio systems to be used by teachers to amplify their voices in the classroom. The use of audio systems has been demonstrated to help children focus on teachers at this age level.
Wendy Patterson, chair of the Saints Legacy Fund board of directors said, “We are pleased to continue to make grants that positively affect students in the St. Ansgar Schools and are pleased to have made grants this year that will affect students in both elementary and middle school. Our next round of grant-making will take place in the fall of 2012.” Contributions to the Saints Legacy Fund are tax-deductible and can be made at the St. Ansgar State Bank online at www.st-ansgar.k12.ia.us.
February 25, 2011
Saints Legacy Fund Distributes More than $5,000 to Projects
The Saints Legacy Fund announced it has distributed a second round of awards to the St. Ansgar schools for the 2010 – 2011 academic year. The following projects received funding:
· Youth Frontiers Courage Retreat, sponsored by Deb Kramer. This project will allow all middle school students to attend a retreat and receive training on the important topics of bullying, personal courage and leadership.
· St. Ansgar Special Olympics, sponsored by Diane Mayer. This project provides financial support for St. Ansgar’s Special Olympics Team to compete in a state tournament.
· Lego Club, sponsored by Deb Kramer, will provide funds for purchase of two more Lego kits for construction of robots.
· Elementary School Band, sponsored by Barb Emerson, will provide partial funding to restart the 5th grade band program.
Distributions from the Saints Legacy Fund in this cycle exceeded $5,000.
Wendy Patterson, chair of the Saints Legacy Fund board of directors said, “We had excellent applications from the school district in this cycle and are pleased to have made grants this year that will affect students at all grade levels. Our next round of grant-making will take place in the fall of 2011.” Contributions to the Saints Legacy Fund are tax-deductible and can be made at the St. Ansgar State Bank.
November 16, 2010
Saints Legacy Fund Makes First Grants
The Saints Legacy Fund, started in 2008, has announced its first round of grants. The mission of the fund is to enhance the learning experience in the St. Ansgar schools for children of all ages by investing in new areas of student learning and innovative programs.
In the high school, Mr. Devin Schwiesow applied for $2,000 of funding to support creation of the STA Robotics program. This application was fully funded. Mr. Schwiesow said, “This is going to be an exciting addition to the extracurricular activities at St. Ansgar High School. Students will conceive and build a robot and then compete against other schools. It would have been hard to get this off the ground without support from the Saints Legacy Fund.”
In the elementary school, 4th grade teachers Sheila Schulz and Tracey Fossey collaborated on a proposal called Cards by Caring Children. According to Fossey, “With the $1,000 grant from the Saints Legacy Fund, we’ll be able to launch this program. Our fourth graders will make greeting cards. The materials to make them professional enough to be sold cost more than what we would have been able to fund without the Legacy Fund. We expect proceeds from card sales to support the program in future years.”
Wendy Patterson, chair of the Saints Legacy Fund board of directors said, “These are the kind of innovative programs we had hoped teachers would propose. It is very exciting to have these two excellent additions to enhance our schools. We will have a second round of grant-making, with the application deadline on January 31, 2011. I hope we will get a lot more creative proposals that we can fund for the spring semester.”
Contributions to the Saints Legacy Fund are tax-deductible and can be made at the St. Ansgar State Bank or online at www.st-ansgar.k12.ia.us using the Saints Legacy Fund link.
Robotics team: Front l to r: Allison Wold, Nancy Woods (Legacy Fund Board), Tony Heimer, Michael Dryer, Sam Beaver. Back l to r: Scott Hemann, John Sievert, Alex Obadal, Eric Rysavy, Mr Schwiesow, (Team leader). Not present: Marena Bartz, Rycki Leraaen, Sam Heimer.